If you can find and utilize holes in Windows 10, Microsoft is willing to pay you a lot of money. Hackers are offered to earns as much as $250,000 if they succeed just once.
The latest version of the Microsoft’ operating system is also its best one yet. With the basics and user-friendly approach of the 7 version, and without the sloppiness of Windows 8, it already has a very strong defense but the company still wants to make sure everything is being covered.
On Thursday the company launched the Windows Bounty Programme. This rewards platform combines the features of the Windows Insider Preview, Windows Defender Application Guard, Hyper-V, Mitigation bypass and the Microsoft Edge web browser.
The company stated that since 2012, they have launched multiple bounties for various features. Due to security always changing, different types of vulnerabilities are being the priority at different times. The company said it strongly believes in the importance of the bug bounties and is trusting them to help their security.
This reward programme will be an ongoing engagement and will run for however long it takes for Microsoft to confirm it being complete. Not only that, but Microsoft is willing to compensate for anything that might put user’s security and privacy in danger.
A bug hunter will also receive a maximum of 10% of the highest possible categorical amount in case he or she is the first finder of a vulnerability that Microsoft is already aware of. Below you can find the information about the target, focus area, and payout details. For more information, go to Microsoft Bounty Programmes page.
- Category: Focus area | Targets: Microsoft Hyper-V | Windows version: Windows 10, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server Insider Preview | Payout range: US$5,000 to US$250,000
- Category: Focus area | Targets: Mitigation bypass and bounty for defense | Windows version: Windows 10 | Payout range: US$500 to US$200,000
- Category: Focus area | Targets: Windows Defender Application Guard | Windows version: WIP slow | Payout range: US$500 to US$30,000
- Category: Focus area | Targets: Microsoft Edge | Windows version: WIP slow | Payout range: US$500 to US$15,000
- Category: Base | Targets: Windows Insider Preview | Windows version: WIP slow | Payout range: US$500 to US$15,000